SUE JACKSON Therapist | Writer | Photographer | Activist

An avid blogger for the last fifteen years, I believe in the power of the word to change the world. I have participated in, and reported on, a range of protests during this period, including the successful East-West Link campaign and, more recently, our wonderful, home-grown Extinction Rebellion (XR). If you believe, like I do, that it is time for ordinary people to rise up in defence of the planet, I encourage you to explore this blog, share it with your networks, and – of course – take action.

Thursday, November 07, 2013

Signs of the Times at Today's East-West Link Protest

I couldn't agree more!

It was drizzling this morning. There had been a succession of different protests, meetings and sundry Anti-Tunnel events in recent weeks. So I fully expected that only a few stalwart souls would be at our regular early Friday morning protest. But I couldn't have been more wrong. There was an all-time record number, including the Yarra Mayor, Jackie Fristacky and Cr Amanda Stone.


Yarra Council reps

Something else very pleasing was that there were quite a few new faces, that I soon learned belonged to representatives of other interest groups from elsewhere in Melbourne. This is a great development. We have all realised for ages that the more we attend each others' protests and cross-fertilize the more indominable we will be.
Another difference I noticed this morning is that more and more motorists are tooting their support. I took a moment out to look over the bridge for a long-term view of the gridlock below.


What sane person would want more of this gridlock?

Something I really enjoyed today was colourful new signage that I have never seen before. Here is one:-


The tunnel would be just a below ground version of the gridlock above


I can't resist showing you 2 more:-







Thinking about the signs and the cleverness and work behind their creation warmed me on my wet walk home. No wonder drivers confronted with this colourful vision at the end of the freeway felt compelled to toot their support. Clearly opposition to the tunnel is gaining ground. Those toots are surely a sign of the times.

3 Comments:

Blogger Luke C Jackson said...

Let's hope so!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for another great post, Sue, and some great banner ideas captured too.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

Thanks for the feedback, Jill.
We were just singing your praises at yoga this morning re your skilful handling of the offer to Lend Lease of sacks of tax payers' money!

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home