SUE JACKSON Therapist | Writer | Photographer | Activist

An avid blogger for the last fifteen years, I believe in the power of the word to change the world. I have participated in, and reported on, a range of protests during this period, including the successful East-West Link campaign and, more recently, our wonderful, home-grown Extinction Rebellion (XR). If you believe, like I do, that it is time for ordinary people to rise up in defence of the planet, I encourage you to explore this blog, share it with your networks, and – of course – take action.

Monday, April 25, 2016

PhotoMarathon Practice

Next Saturday 30 April is the big day. PhotoMarathon is being launched in Australia and the hosts are our very own Susanne and Michael Silver of Magnet Gallery.
How the marathon works is that, over the course of the day, participants report in to the gallery on three separate occasions. Each time they are given 3 previously undisclosed topics as subjects for their pictures. They are then let loose on the Melbourne CBD.
Everyone has to start the day with a fresh memory card,  and no 'post-production' like photoshop or cropping is allowed.  At the end of the day we all have to present 9 images exactly in the order allocated. All of the pictures will subsequently be put on display in the gallery and judges will choose some for special mention.
I am lucky to have a wonderful camera - a Fuji Film - but even though I have owned it for over a year now, I still find it technically intimidating. So I decided to put the Anzac day holiday to good use by having a practice run for Saturday.
I asked my partner, Peter, to come up with 9 topics, none of which I saw in advance or influenced him to include - I promise - and then I headed off on the train. His topics were 'light', 'happiness', 'windows', 'speed', 'weariness', 'doorway', 'cold', 'corner' and 'friendship'. I only had half the time that will be available next Saturday. This was actually a good thing because - as you will soon see- I faded early. Here is what I came up with:

Light

Happiness
Windows

Speed

Weariness (my selfie)
Doorway

 Cold:I know it's a long bow, but I reckon you could be if your shoes ended up suspended rather than on your feet

Friendship
Corner

I had a lot of fun doing this exercise, and  I wonder what I would have come up with had I moved beyond the one city block I found myself occupying!  
Watch this space to see how next Saturday's real PhotoMarathon unfolds. 

UPDATE: Sadly, I fell at the first hurdle. 
My wonderful camera started shooting continuously. Although I have now discovered it is a simple matter to rectify, on the day I sat in Exhibition Street trying to sort it out for a whole hour. Finally, realising that I had missed the deadline to collect the second set of images, I gave up. I walked glumly to the nearest tram stop, and managed to avoid all eye contact with my fellow passengers all the way home. Next year...  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home