SUE JACKSON Therapist | Writer | Photographer | Activist

An avid blogger for the last fifteen years, I believe in the power of the word to change the world. I have participated in, and reported on, a range of protests during this period, including the successful East-West Link campaign and, more recently, our wonderful, home-grown Extinction Rebellion (XR). If you believe, like I do, that it is time for ordinary people to rise up in defence of the planet, I encourage you to explore this blog, share it with your networks, and – of course – take action.

Saturday, February 03, 2018

Rally: No Racism, Stop Criminalising African communities

Recently many Melbournians have been shocked at the comments of our Prime Minister and the Federal Home Affairs Minister, Peter Dutton, about the African community. Claims that locals are 'scared to go to restaurants' because of 'African gang violence' are examples of the scare-mongering tactics used. As so often happens scapegoating is aimed at distracting attention from the very real inequities in our society and the ineptitude of our governments.
But today concerned locals challenged those tactics at a protest outside the State Library followed by a march through the city to the Victorian Parliament. Here are some pictures of those locals (Sadly, as I am still struggling with my computer,  to see the images clearly you will need to click on them):


Click on image to view clearly



Click on image to view clearly



Click on image to view clearly


Click on image to view clearly



Click on image to view clearly


Click on image to view clearly

If you are getting sick to the stomach with all the misinformation and scare-mongering can I suggest as an antidote a great book called 'What is the What' by the Dave Eggers. It is a story about the multiple traumas faced by young people escaping the wars in South Sudan, and the new traumas that many encounter when they are finally resettled in the United States. Closer to home: in case you missed it, you can still catch it via SBS On Demand - 'Sunshine' starring Anthony LaPaglia, Melanie Lynskey and Wally Elnor is a story of young Africans attempting to make a new life for themselves in our very own western suburb of Sunshine. Highly recommended




6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog - great message.

3:30 AM  
Blogger MarianFrances said...

Great stuff Sue, and I can fervently second your recommendation for What Is The What, such a very powerful book! Its imagery has stayed with me for years after reading it.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

I know exactly what you mean about What Is The What. It was un-put-downable when I was reading it and, just like you, it has stayed with me ever since.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Lindab said...

Thanks for this Sue. It was on my mind to go and I let myself get distracted...then I regretted it. It was a pretty good turnout I heard. there’ll be more opportunities I hope. Thanks for Dave Eggers and film recs.

2:55 AM  
Blogger Rodney Spark said...

Thanks Sue, online voices like yours are needed to counter the misinformation about these people and to promote the growing popular support for #bringthemhere

6:20 AM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

Thanks a bunch guys for your thoughtful comments and the support.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home